Copyright Law - what you need to know
Do you want to use the value of your creative assets to grow your business?
Do you want to prevent other people from taking advantage of those creative assets without paying you?
Understanding and using valuable copyright law advice from a legal expert can help you do this.
Copyright is the legal right of a creator to prevent other people from copying assets that they create. The types of creative work that have copyright under English law are set out in a statute called the Copyright Designs and Patents Act, 1988 (or CDPA). Copyright can apply to a wide range of creations, such as photos, surveys, databases and software.
Every business will have valuable assets that contribute to its success, whether that be financially or by enhancing its reputation. Understanding copyright is fundamental to running a successful business.
Our Copyright Lawyers Provide Legal Advice for your Business
Many businesses own far more copyrights than they realise. It is important to know what copyrights your business has in relation to the work you create for your brand, otherwise you may not be able to exploit them successfully. Also, the less you know about copyright law for UK businesses, the more likely it is that someone could infringe on your rights.
Our copyright lawyers / copyright solicitors are here to provide you with copyright law advice at every step. Whether you need to transfer ownership of copyright to or from another party, or simply copyright a new idea or design, our copyright lawyers can draft copyright assignments and licence any royalty agreements to help you generate maximum revenue. As well as drafting copyright notices and take-down policies, our copyright solicitors also handle cease and desist letters and general infringement actions.
We are proud to say that our copyright lawyers have a strong record of success. If you are in need of copyright infringement solicitors in the UK, you have come to the right place! You can contact us today
and have a free consultation to discuss how we can support your business with copyright legal advice.
Why is Copyright important?
Copyright protects your work or branding and prevents other people or businesses from using it without permission. It is important to understand how to protect your copyrights for many reasons, including:
- helping you protect the value of what you create and stop other people from stealing it;
- adding to the value of your company
- making it easier to raise investment
- helping you create revenue streams from licensing or exploiting your copyrights
What can be copyrighted in the UK?
Copyrighting can be used for various works:
- original literary, dramatic, musical and artistic work (might include illustration and photography)
- original written work such as software and web content
- music recordings and sound recordings
- film and television recordings
- ‘how to’ guides, articles, methodologies and documents
- broadcasts and compilations
- the layout of published editions of written, dramatic and musical works
- branding and other designs
What are you not allowed to copyright?
Copyright law will not necessarily protect all creative works. For instance, it wouldn’t protect ideas, names or short phrases / taglines. As a business owner, you need to have an understanding of copyright
in business. If a work doesn’t meet the requirements for fixation or originality then our commercially minded team of copyright lawyers can advise how else to protect these works.
How can our Copyright Solicitors help?
At LawBite, our copyright lawyers / copyright solicitors are well-versed in providing copyright legal advice for various industries. Our copyright solicitors can help you quickly and cost-effectively to:
- work out which copyrights you own or could own
- provide copyright legal advice on how to protect your assets
- help you maximise the commercial potential of your copyright
- help you avoid infringing other people's copyright
Our copyright infringement solicitors in the UK also deal with contentious issues, including:
- investigating suspected infringement of copyright in the UK
- advising on the tests for determining what amounts to copying
- explaining where the line is drawn between legal inspiration and illegal copying
- helping you understand when and how the defences and fair dealing exceptions apply in the context of infringement claims
We are committed to helping you make the most of your copyrighted assets, whether that be through offering copyright legal advice or informing you of infringement regulations. You can find out more about copyright infringement
in our recent blog.
LawBite - Smarter Business Law
At LawBite, we believe that great legal copyright advice is a fundamental business right. We are committed to providing your business with expert legal advice that is:
- Easier to access
- Clearer to understand
- More affordable
Many businesses find traditional law cumbersome and complex, difficult to navigate and often full of hidden charges. Therefore, it is no surprise that SMEs instinctively turn to LawBite to solve their business legal problems, giving us a 98% service rating on feefo.
LawBite's online lawyers and online solicitors provide expert legal advice on all commercial and business matters including copyright in business. Book a no-commit 15-minute call
with our friendly copyright lawyers today, discuss how we can offer you copyright legal advice, or learn more by joining LawBite for free.