Andrew Farrugia has over ten years’ experience in dispute resolution. His experience extends to both commercial disputes and property related disputes having worked with clients in an array of different sectors such as property, hospitality, insurance, shipping, travel, sports and media. Andrew is qualified in England and Wales and has the experience of working in a small firm, large national firm and in highly rated West End boutique firm.
He has direct experience of being a trusted adviser to one of his SME clients who appointed him as a director to deal with all their legal issues. He has worked on a wide variety of disputes from property disputes between members of the same family, commercial disputes between companies and complex, high value disputes that involved more than one jurisdiction.
Andrew is personable and gives commercial and pragmatic advice. Providing a great service is at the forefront of his approach and Andrew likes to fully understand the issue to give tailored advice for the client’s particular situation. He is known to work hard and to fight for his clients to achieve the best result that the circumstances of the case will allow.
In his own words:
“As an adviser to an SME, it is crucial to see the importance and value of the business to the owner who has often devoted their whole working life to making their business a success. Disputes take both an emotional and financial toll as a result of the breakdown of a business relationship or because a sum of money has been outstanding for a long period of time. It is very rewarding when your involvement and advice results in the payment of a debt to provide cash flow and also when a dispute is resolved in such a way to preserve or repair the business relationship between the parties.”
- Keele university, 2005 - LLB (Hons) Law
- College of Law Bloomsbury, 2006 - Legal Practice Course
- Co-founded, successfully ran and played in a football team named AFC Sporting Keele at University;
- Contributed chapters to the book: Pleading in Arbitration; A Practitioner’s Guide published by W. Green, 26 June 2012;
- Worked on a reported case: Meritz Fire and Marine Insurance Co Ltd v Jan de Nul NV & Anor  EWCA Civ 827;
- Secured a settlement for a SME client against a much larger and very aggressive institutional opponent in an extremely hard fought case;
- Obtained a large sum of unpaid fees for a SME client in the sports sector;
- Won an appeal for a SME client in the hospitality sector which quashed the first instance result;
- Negotiated the release from an expensive lease for a SME media agency from one of London’s largest Landlords.
I enjoy playing various sports such as veterans football (where the definition of a veteran is over 35 years old), working to try and reduce my handicap in golf, playing table tennis and swimming (particularly in the Mediterranean).
I also love music and attend gigs and festivals both domestically and internationally so I can also combine the love of music with some travelling.
Recently, I have started listening to personal finance and business podcasts which are topics that interest me greatly. I like watching stand-up comedy and sitcoms as they are an enjoyable antidote for current affairs.
I have near native / bi-lingual proficiency in Maltese and I have ambitions to learn Italian and to improve my knowledge of GCSE French and German.