Altaf Qureshi is a barrister at Hardwicke, Lincoln’s Inn with 19 years’ experience in banking and finance, restructuring, corporate and commercial law but who started his career as an entrepreneur with a regulatory technology startup set up by a US law firm in London.
He qualified as a barrister with Hardwicke, Lincoln’s Inn but later cross qualified as a solicitor in the Banking Department at Linklaters in London where he specialized in private equity, leveraged finance and restructuring transactions. Altaf then moved in-house where he was Senior Legal Counsel at the Royal Bank of Scotland, advising on the sale of WorldPay and matters relating to merchant acquiring, and then as the Deputy General Counsel of the Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank in the UAE where he advised wholesale banking, trade finance and financial institutions desk, special assets and treasury.
Altaf currently advises on cross border matters with leading international law firms and multinational clients.
In his own words:
“I enjoy business. I enjoy learning about businesses, how they work, how best they should function and ultimately how to make them stronger and more profitable in the best interests of all stakeholders involved. It is with this in mind that I approach advising clients, be they banks, large multinational companies or SMEs. As such, I also realise that my advice must be practical, workable and achieve both legal and business objectives. With SMEs, this means understanding their problems while keeping in mind limited resources, and designing solutions that can work accordingly. It gives me great pleasure to see my advice resolve problems but also further the business.”
- LLB Law, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London – 1999
- Bar Vocational Course, College of Law, London – 2000
- LLM Law, Columbia University, New York – 2003
- Qualified Lawyers Transfer Test, BPP England – 2007
- Awarded the Jules Thorn Scholar by the Honourable Society at Middle Temple
- Externship at the United Nations – 2003
- Published “Clean Money, Dirty Money - Corruption and Money Laundering in the UK” for Transparency International (UK)
- Published “Options for Corporate Restructuring in Pakistan” for the Cleary Gottlieb Emerging Markets Restructuring Journal
- Published “Restructuring and Insolvency in Pakistan” for Thomson Reuters Practical Law
- Accredited Mediator and Negotiator with ADR-ODR International
- Associate of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member of INSOL International
- Member of the Select Counsel (International Panel) out of San Francisco
Altaf is passionate about technology and entrepreneurship as he is the co-founder of Wukla (an automated document generator and contract management tool) and PakSign (an electronic signature platform with identity verification), which are focused on bringing legal and regulatory tech in Pakistan, and for which he won the HBL Innovation Challenge 2017.
Altaf speaks fluent Urdu/Hindi, intermediate German and beginner Mandarin.