LawBite provides independent, well trained local mediators to work with people who have a dispute to reach an agreement quickly and more cheaply than taking the dispute to court.All mediators appointed under this programme are Accredited by our Partners CEDR (Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution) and quality controlled by ‘CEDR Solve’.Mediation has a success rate of approximately 80%. Disputes are resolved, usually in less than a day by LawBite mediators using this simple, informal and successful process.
What is mediation?
Mediation is a process for settling disputes which:
– uses an independent neutral person (the mediator) to facilitate negotiations;
– is quick, easy to afford, informal and confidential;
– helps the people with a dispute to reach creative and satisfactory agreements which are not possible in the courts;
– may benefit everybody involved in the dispute (particularly if there is a continuing business relationship);
– is usually carried out on the basis that those attending the mediation have the necessary authority to settle the dispute.
How do I make a Mediation Enquiry using LawBite?
The steps are simple:
1. Download the Application Form & Mediation Agreement by clicking on ‘Buy Now’ and completing payment (via Paypal or credit card). Please follow the links to do this here: Package 1 (for claims up to £75,000) or Package 2 (for claims up to £125,000) 2. Locate your form within your My Documents area and complete the editable fields as instructed. 3. Upload your Supporting documentation using the ‘Supporting Documentation’ Button.
4. Ensure both parties have e-signed the document.
5. Click on the ‘Send form to CEDR’ button to submit your application.
– A CEDR mediator will respond to your enquiry within 24 hours and you can browse their profile and experience on the Meet the Team page.
– If you are happy using this mediator, simply reply to their message and continue correspondence. If you are not happy using this mediator, please advise them as to which mediator you would prefer, or ask LawBite to select a different mediator on your behalf.
– Once you have chosen an appropriate CEDR mediator, you will then need to agree to the LawBite ‘Agreement for Mediation’ which incorporates the LawBite process for mediation. You can find this in the Mediation section of the LawBite documents area of the site.
– You can then go on to prepare for and attend the mediation. Consult the CEDR website for useful tips about how to prepare before a mediation.
How much does it cost?
There are two price points depending upon how much is in dispute.
• Package 1 – For claims of up to £75,000, the cost is £1,000 + VAT
• Package 2 – For claims of between £75,001 and £125,000, the cost is £2,000 + VAT Select this package instead
Mediation normally gives great value for money. It has the potential to save or reduce legal fees, court fees, experts’ fees and management time. Should the parties agree, the mediation process can continue for more than 7 hours with additional mediator time charged at £200 + vat per hour.