Please use headed paper of employer, if available. To remove this text, please insert a single space in the text edit box and save.
[Insert Employee’s name]
[Employee Address 1]
Dear [Insert Employee’s name]
Contract of Employment
This letter is your Contract of employment with [Insert company name] (called “We/Us” in this Agreement). It includes all the things which the law requires Us to tell You.
Commencement of Employment
- 2.1 Our details as your employer are in paragraph 1 of Schedule 1. Your employment starts on the date shown in paragraph 2 of Schedule 1. Paragraph 13 of Schedule 1 provides information about your “continuous employment”. Continuous employment is important because it is used to calculate whether You qualify for employment protection rights and to calculate compensation in an employment tribunal.
- 2.2 The first [Insert number] month[s] of your employment is a probationary period, when We can both see how We get on, but We may continue this period for up to a further [Insert number] months if We decide to. At any time during this probationary period, You or We can end this Contract by sending a “Notice”. A Notice is defined later in this Agreement (in clause 9) and takes effect a week after You or We have sent it properly.
- 2.3 During the probationary period We will be reviewing how well You are getting on with the job. At the end of the period We will tell You in a Notice whether or not You have been successful.
- 3.1 Your job title is set out in paragraph 3 of Schedule 1, and You report to the person named in paragraph 4 of Schedule 1. You have some specific things You must do for Us (“Duties”) and these are set out in the job description in paragraph 5 of Schedule 1. However, We can ask You to carry out other Duties, as long as We are reasonable about it, and We may sometimes do that.
- 3.2 You agree that You will not work for anyone else while You are employed by Us.
- 3.3 You confirm that You are entitled to work in the UK, and that You will send Us a Notice straightaway if You are no longer allowed to work in the UK.
Also included in this contract:
4. Place of Work
6. Hours of Work and Rules
8. Sickness Absence
9. Termination and Notice Period
10. Disciplinary and Complaints Process
12. Collective Agreement
13. Changes to Your Terms of Employment
14. Confidential Information and Data Protection
15. Company Property
16. Third Parties are not involved